Nice and slow



I recently moved. As a consequence, I had to change internet service providers. For some strange reason, the new ISP is not letting me get inside the shootouts and sit n gos. And so I needed to relearn how to play classic Texas Hold 'Em.

I broke the 10 million barrier mostly at the 100K tables of the Sit N Gos. As you can see from my stats, I win 15% of the time. That winning percentage was enough to get me over 10 million if only because I make the top 3 at least 50% of the time (which the stats do not show).

Relearning how to play against the bingo players in hold 'em was a pain in the beginning. Lost maybe a million before I got the groove on again. I had to remember that these fools can always re-buy-in -- which is precisely the reason why I love the sit n gos in the first place. So, if I was playing tight in the sit n go tables, I had to play even tighter at  the hold 'em tables.

Patience is the key. I usually buy in with just 66,000 chips at the 4K big blinds tables. And I roll with that. I choose tables with at least 6 players, to reduce the chance of getting blinded out. I fold maybe 90% of the time if I am not the big blind. But when I post blinds, that means my hand is hair-triggered to go all in. If no one goes crazy that I need to go all in before the flop, I just call and wait for the flop. If  I don't make at least a pair, I tick the check-fold box immediately. But if anything comes out, even if it is just a mid-pair, I am going to call even if it means I have to go all-in. But rarely do I initiate raises. I just call.

Once my chip count gets over 150K, I invest more freely. Post blinds even with just one face card on hand, see what comes out. I would call a twice-the-blinds raise after the flop with a flush draw or an up-and-down straight draw, which I would not do if I am short-stacked.

Poker is all about patience punctuated by well-timed aggression. Play tight and throw away losing hands. I don't understand what goes on in the heads of  noobs who try to win with a losing hand. You can't. Someone will CALL you. Wait for the winning hand, then bet hard -- or more accurately, make them believe that they've made you bet hard. Notice that my biggest winning pot is well over 1 million. If I remember correctly, I lost at least 70% of my posted blinds. But that one pot more than made up for it. Stop trying to win the small pots all the time. Poker is not about winning many hands. Poker is about taking away all the chips of your opponent, and that can take as little as ONE winning hand.

1 comment:

  1. Your poker strategy is totally different compared to mine alltough I'm not saying mine is better but I find some things disturbing about your explanation on how you play poker.:
    You call players who bluff noobs well sorry sir but you're thinking too much in black and white here. Don't you know that the strenght in a bluff is the way you act while doing one and not the strenght of your hand itself? BTW every and I literally mean ANY hand is a potential winning hand on Texas Hold'em Poker it's just up to you how you play your hand.Afcourse there is a potential danger that someone will call you but than it's up to you to overcall that person. if you go for a bluff than do it with full commitment and keep pushing as long as you trust the case it may work and don't start to check even if the cards look quite bad for you and he will probably start doubting the strenght of his cards. You see when you're bluffing you're playing a pyschological game with your opponents which can be a succes or not. On the other hand you have these wannabe poker players who constantly use bluffing as a sort of russian roulette but they will fall sooner or later and to be honest they actually deserve it when they play like a brainless person. You're also encouraging people to go for the big pots but if there's one thing I learned in Poker is that a a lot of small piles become one big pile eventually so the thing I want to say is that
    your approach to Texas Hold'em Poker is just too rational in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete