How to play with pocket pairs

Getting pocket pairs can be real tricky. They look pretty and can be misleading in that it looks stronger than it actually is. One has to remind oneself that a pocket pair, even an AA pocket pair, is still just a pair.


One rule I follow with pocket pairs is that I would play it simply as a pair. If I pair 4-4 after the flop, I don't go crazy and go all-in, would you? So why would you do that pre-flop? In a table with 8 other players, always assume that you would get called.

So I call. Invest in the blind. I tick the check-fold button once a higher card comes in the community cards. But always call if my pocket pair is higher than any one of the community cards. Following this rule means I rarely fold a high pocket pair.

Generally, I just wait. If I make trips with the pocket pairs, great! That's what we are waiting for. But no, don't go all-in right away (if you trip at the flop). You just check or call. Watch out for possible straights and flushes. If you feel that everything is clear, bet hard on the river.

Biggest pot I've won was with a 2-2 pocket pair at the 10K big blinds table. Flop was AA2. Two guys with aces went all-in. Of course I went for it. They had trips to my full-house. Got 1.4 M chips for that.

But oh, if I am feeling it (or am pissed with a bingo player), I call even if I have to go all-in when I have pocket pairs. I am, however, more concerned about the other players calling the bingo player. So betting position here would be crucial. But hey, it is your call. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment