Check-raise



Check-raising is the most basic poker strategy a noob needs to learn. The idea is pretty simple, really. I just don't understand why there are those who think they know poker and yet simply does not understand what check-raising is all about.


Your hand is pocket 8's. The flop is A-K-8, so you've made 8-8-8 trips. Your first to bet. What do you do? Raise? No. Remember the simple principle of poker, it is not about winning the hand, it's all about getting the most out of a winning hand. Raising any amount with that kind of a flop will scare off (those who know poker anyway) out of that pot. You want to keep them in the game, in the hope that they will get something at the turn or the river. You check. Of course you call if someone raises. This effectively hides the true strength of your hand. Raising later on will confuse your opponents.


If no one raises, you can raise maybe the blind amount after the turn. Callers to that raise will probably have paired the ace at the flop. Re-raisers probably have made 2 pairs at this point. Take note of how they bet. 


Now comes the river. You have your trips. Your turn to bet. Watch out for possible trips higher than yours, or possible straights, flushes or even a full-house. Be ready to fold if all it takes is one more card to complete a flush for example. This is the downside of check-raising, you've given the table the chance to catch up with you. But from experience, check-raising is worth the risk.


And don't get too cautious. You have a very strong hand. Generally, I would bet pot (all-in if betting pot means that). 

4 comments:

  1. if indeed the flop is A-K-8 I would raise. Go all-in on next flop.

    deejay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for making it to blog deejay. While you disagreed with my check after the flop strategy I have to bow down to you (for now) as you had 32M when I played you just a while ago. But in my defense, Amy was distracting me, lol. And my GF was texting me at the same time. But your game play was conservative (read: GOOD!). I hardly noticed you until you hurt me real bad with that one hand. And that doomed my chances at that table. But hey, it was just a 50K buy-in. I play a little reckless at that table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very specifically I addressed the flop to be A-K-8. If any other player have the A they would have raised anyway especially if they have a face card to go along. So it will be better to get a read on how he reacts to your raise. On other flops showing no connected or flush-draw cards, check-raise will be my option.
    Deejay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice insight deejay. But now we are confusing the noobs, lol. Maybe I had made a bad example as all I wanted to illustrate was NOT to raise (big) when you have the strongest hand (to your judgement, which might not be true). Slow-play the strong hand. Then make a bigger kill at the river.

    ReplyDelete